Encompass Health Careers
Senior Manager Tax Projects
The Senior Manager - Tax Projects is a Senior Management level position in the Corporate Tax Department with responsibility for leading a variety of tax projects, organizational efforts and documentation initiatives related to tax matters for the company, its affiliates and subsidiaries (the "Company"). This position is a key member of the tax management team and will be called upon to support other members of management in their efforts to create consistent and accurate documentation, optimize tax processes, ensure adequate project staffing and ensure application of departmental policies.
This position will be called upon to oversee special projects that arise from time to time which may require the Senior Manager to function as the overall project leader, the process leader or both. Further, such projects will require the Senior Manager to assemble multi-discipline (sometimes within tax and sometimes from other departments) teams to accomplish critical tasks, usually on a tight timeline. This position may have multiple reporting responsibilities and will usually support many different individuals and initiatives simultaneously. The position may be assigned multiple projects and must be able to provide functional assistance to all disciplines within the tax department. This position must provide meaningful and reasonable project goals and direction, delegate work effectively and efficiently among department staff and provide thoughtful and relevant project status reports to management.
This position is unique in that it requires insight and execution on projects and initiatives that cut across all of the income and non-income tax disciplines within the department. This position is expected to function as a subject matter expert on departmental process and policy and will be called upon to work with other members of management to streamline and optimize processes and documentation. As a member of the Tax Department management team, this position will be called upon to support other tax functions and initiatives including, but not limited to, review of key income tax provision process; review of periodic and annual corporate and partnership tax return filings; review of tax calculations; review of tax controversy matters, including representation of the company before taxing authorities; review of non-income tax matters including sales, use, property and unclaimed property matters; participation in various human resources and administrative matters related to the Tax Department; other responsibilities within and outside of the Tax Department, as assigned.
The Senior Manager - Tax Projects must make sure the projects and processes supervised are adequately and timely staffed, completed, and delivered to the appropriate person or jurisdiction. This position must be aware of all relevant Company processes, procedures and controls (including internal controls over financial reporting) and is responsible for ensuring that such process, procedures and controls are maintained and followed for all matters under their supervision. This position frequently manages work performed by third party providers as part of the project work undertaken. This position will support cultural diversity by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
Job Code 101282
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- Project Management Professional (PMP), Six Sigma or other similar designation a plus.
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Law degree required.
- Graduate degree preferred.
- 8 to 15 years of tax experience required.
- Experience supervising others preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Outlook and Internet Explorer required.
- Extensive experience working with tax research software applications (e.g., RIA Checkpoint, CCH Intelliconnect, Thomson Workflow/FastTax, OneSource, etc.) preferred.
- Experience with data automation tools (SQL, Clickview, Altyryx, etc.) preferred.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds including medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills, expressing ideas clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
- Experience with various aspects of the corporate tax function (i.e. non-income taxes, tax compliance, tax controversy, tax accounting, etc.) at a supervisory level.
- Experience advising healthcare companies on tax matters unique to the healthcare industry preferred.
- Knowledge/understanding of corporate and partnership financial accounting and tax treatment, including familiarity with corporate and partnership tax return forms and supporting schedules required.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Address: 9001 Liberty Parkway, Birmingham 35242
Job ID: 1916870