The National Director, Labor and Employment Compliance is responsible for ensuring Encompass Health's compliance with state and federal labor and employment laws and regulations. This includes facilitating the prompt distribution and appropriate implementation of applicable labor and employment laws and regulations including, but not limited to, those concerning the hiring process, background checks, employee benefits, harassment training, wage and hour, professional licensure, unemployment, workplace violence, and similar issues. The incumbent monitors federal and state employment regulations; researches and assess the applicability and impact of new laws and regulations on operations; notifies impacted staff; recommends necessary changes in existing policy or the creation of new policy; and ensures full and appropriate implementation of new or revised processes. He or she serves as a resource to stakeholders, providing guidance on and making recommendations about implementation or remediation efforts. Aids in the development of state specific and/or enterprise wide compliance policies related to labor and employment requirements. Works with Human Resources staff to resolve issues related to employee exclusion screenings. May be required to prepare training materials and facilitate training seminars on employment related topics. Prepares reports as needed for the Chief Compliance Officer, the Executive Compliance Committees, the Board of Directors and other interested parties. Conducts or oversees validation testing when warranted. Works closely with Encompass Health's labor and employment, regulatory, and operations counsel, local, regional, and home office functional leads, the CCO and other Ethics & Compliance staff, and other pertinent stakeholders in the execution of his or her duties. This position will support cultural diversity by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
License or Certification:
- Applicable professional certificates in compliance (e.g., Certified in Healthcare Compliance by the Compliance Certification Board) or Human Resources (e.g., Professional or Senior Professional in Human Resources by the Society for Human Resource Management or Human Resources Certicication Institute) desired.
- Juris Doctor strongly preferred.
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in Human Resources Administration, Business Administration, Health Administration, or a related field.
- Advanced degree (Master's degree in Human Resources Administration, Business Administration, Health Administration (or other related field), J.D., or LLM) strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years professional experience within human resources, healthcare operations, legal services, or compliance.
- Understanding of compliance concepts and practices and risk assessment approaches.
- Broad working knowledge of human resource principles, methods, and techniques.
- Strong research and analytical skills; must able to effectively perform extensive legal research.
- Ability to effectively manage large projects from start to finish.
- Ability to read, understand, interpret, differentiate, and appropriately apply legal memoranda such as statutes, bills, administrative regulations, proposed rules, etc.
- Experience in the development and execution of audits and remediation plans.
- Knowledge and experience in the review of business processes, including system implementation (if applicable), process reengineering and implementation of controls.
- Knowledge and experience compiling data in usable formats for analysis against appropriate benchmarks.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supports and advises operations and Human Resources staff on labor and employment related compliance matters, particularly as it pertains to the implementation of newly enacted laws and regulations.
- Tracks and analyzes labor and employment bills and other developments in law in the states in which Encompass Health does business.
- Appropriately leverages staff and other resources to efficiently and appropriately execute duties.
- Works with Ethics & Compliance and Human Resources staff and appropriate external entities to thoroughly investigate potentially excluded employees; takes appropriate action when warranted.
- Works collaboratively with others, using professional influence to drive progress when necessary.
- Knows detailed responsibilities required of position.
- Keeps updated and current on applicable statutes, case law, regulations, guidance, etc.
- Understands and utilizes the company resource structure; utilizes appropriate resources to effectively and successfully execute the responsibilities of the position.
- Develops strategies and aligns work to achieve goals.
- Completes special projects and other duties as requested to support needs of organization.
- Networks with co-workers to share best practices.
- Actively participates in the creation/modification of policies and procedures.
- Organizes, plans, and manages time effectively to complete assignments.
- Completes mandatory training and courses required by completion date.
- Reports questionable situations, concerns, complaints or harassment immediately.
- Develops and executes audits of labor and employment related compliance matters (under the guidance and direction of the legal services department where appropriate).
- Understands the role of key performance indicators as they relate to areas under audit.
- Develops accurate time budget/ forecast.
- Bases findings on systematic analysis of pertinent information and the effect of the decision on all areas of the Company.
- Uses facts and data to completely understand the situation and negotiates resolutions that are acceptable to all involved parties.
- Participates in the follow-up process to ensure resolution of audit findings, when applicable.
- Interprets the relative significance of issues needing resolution and escalates at appropriate time.
- Works in collaboration with the Chief Compliance Officer to develop appropriate initiatives for the annual compliance work plan.
- Works collaboratively with hospital leadership and others to interpret findings and contribute to remediation discussions.
Address: 9001 Liberty Parkway, Birmingham 35242
Shift: Day Job
Job ID: 2012692