Under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, performs those functions not requiring expert nursing skill or judgment. This includes patient care, reporting patient attitudes, conditions or unusual circumstances to nurse in charge, maintaining equipment and pristine units.
The Nurse Extern I is responsible for:
- Providing direct patient care activities appropriate to training and competency for assigned patients with direct supervision of RN.
- To strengthen self confidence.
- To learn various disease processes.
- To interact with physicians and other healthcare providers.
- To expand clinical knowledge and skills.
- To familiarize themselves to the hospital environment.
- To gain more clinical experience and learn more nursing procedures.
- Assisting RN/LVN in completing tasks that support patient care activities
- Completes patient care activities as assigned while promoting excellent patient satisfaction and outcomes.
- Establish criteria for employment of nursing students.
- Works under the guidelines of RN with assigned patients in accordance with hospital guidelines.
- Define the role of Nurse Externs.
Job Code: 100656
License or Certification:
- CPR certification required
Education, Training, Requirements and Years of Experience:
- Part-time or full-time active student status.
- Successful completion of the first term of nursing courses of a professional Registered Nurse nursing program.
- Must be currently enrolled and in good academic standing in a professional Registered Nurse nursing program.
- Initial term including didactic/skills lab must include fundamentals.
- Return of one or two (if available) instructor evaluations indicating satisfactory performance of fundamental nursing skills.
- Successful completion of preceptor tool and core competency at 90 days and annually.
- Must present proof of continued enrollment and passing grade in nursing classes each semester until graduation and is in good academic standing.
- One year experience in inpatient general hospital setting preferred
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Equipment as listed in the Competency check-off list.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30 pounds and ability push/pull a minimum of 30 pounds, which includes the lifting, pushing and/or pulling of medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring equipment
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- May not under any circumstances perform any tasks/procedures that have not been covered in this job description or that have not been verified by competency checklists.
- May not administer medications by any route.
- May document in the medical record.
- May assist the nurse in collection of data and documentation of data in the nurse's notes upon completion of competencies as deemed by the CNO. The RN is accountable for making nursing judgments, altering the plan of care, or intervention based on his/her assessment of the patient status.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Meets established attendance standards.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- A one-year performance evaluation will be done annually. This is required and will be part of your permanent record.
- Please notify the professional development coordinator if:
- You are no longer in nursing school due to any reason.
- You have a change of address or telephone number.
- You are unable to work due to school, personal commitments, etc.
Address: 3901 Armory Road, Wichita Falls 76302
Schedule: PRN / Pool / As Needed
Job ID: 2115649
Contact Name - External: Kathleen Pirtle
Contact Email - External: Kathleen.Pirtle@encompasshealth.com