Helping patients regain hope and independence, Encompass Health is a national leader in post-acute care. We operate rehabilitation hospitals and offer home health and hospice care in 39 states as well as Puerto Rico. Following the Encompass Health Way, we are driven by our core values: We proudly set the standard, lead with empathy, do what's right, focus on the positive, and remain stronger together.
Encompass Health’s Home Office in Birmingham, Alabama, is currently searching for a dynamic individual to join our Reimbursement team. The Reimbursement Accountant is responsible for preparing Medicare and Medicaid cost reports, hospital and audit support for assigned hospitals as well as other projects. We are seeking a candidate with various levels of accounting or reimbursement experience.
How you’ll contribute:
- Prepare annual filing of hospital cost reports for Medicare, Medicaid, and Medicaid DSH as well as miscellaneous ad hoc external reports.
- Maintain knowledge of Federal and State regulations to ensure compliance.
- Calculate monthly contractual allowances.
- Coordinate support for cost report audit and third party filings, calculate financial impact and ensure proper recording. Maintain adequate analysis to support settlement accounts.
- Support hospital and corporate personnel in identifying and resolving reimbursement issues.
- Research, analyze and reconcile data.
Job Code: 100201
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (preferred) or Finance or equivalent work experience.
- One or more years of accounting or reimbursement experience which can include an internship.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- Intermediate Excel Skills and other Office products.
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds including medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision. Team player, ability to train and share knowledge, strong analytical skills and ability to problem solve, strong organizational skills, strong interpersonal communication skills, and demonstrated work ethic.
- Occasionally subject to irregular hours.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both writing and verbal arenas, as well as email.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Shift: Day Job
Job ID: 2118658