Helping patients regain hope and independence, is a national leader in post-acute care. We operate rehabilitation hospitals and offer home health and hospice care in 39 states as well as Puerto Rico. Following the Encompass Health Way, we are driven by our core values: We proudly set the standard, lead with empathy, do what is right, focus on the positive, and remain stronger together.
Encompass Health’s Home Office is searching for a State Regulatory Compliance Officer (SRCO) to join our team! This person will administer the State Regulatory Compliance Program in their assigned geographic area, ensuring Encompass Health’s compliance with both state and local regulatory requirements. Working in conjunction with applicable Reimbursement staff, the incumbent facilitates the timely distribution of amended or newly-enacted state legislation, provides guidance on various state and local requirements to regional and local hospital staff, ensures appropriate implementation of high risk state legislation, and manages and responds to state and local regulatory issues when needed. The SRCO ensures that ethical standards, including those outlined in the Standards of Business Ethics and Conduct, are considered in operational decision-making. The SRCO also provides compliance oversight of third-party vendors and other affiliated entities by administering the First Tier, Downstream, and Related Entities (FDR) program, to include updating the Vendor Code of Conduct as needed and chairing the Vendor Oversight Committee.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitors legislative and regulatory activity and prepares and distributes written summaries of applicable requirements to appropriate staff.
- Advises staff on state and local regulatory requirements and compliance and ethics related issues.
- Works with appropriate staff to ensure full and appropriate implementation of required operational changes, to include necessary changes to existing policies or the creation of new policies as needed.
- Serves as a resource to stakeholders by providing guidance on or making recommendations about implementation or remediation efforts.
- Serves as the local SME on state regulatory requirements and other compliance and ethics related matters.
- Acts as a liaison between the Chief Compliance Officer (CCO) and applicable hospital personnel and regional staff, including the respective Regional President.
- Performs legal research as needed.
- Provides assurance testing on local regulatory implementations.
- Performs annual review of Vendor Code of Conduct and makes changes as needed.
- Prepares periodic reports for the Encompass Health Board of Directors and the Executive Compliance Committee.
- Performs First Tier, Downstream, and Related Entities (FDR) audits.
- Completes Compliance Attestations for FDRs and joint venture partners.
- Periodic travel to assigned locations is required.
- Knows detailed responsibilities required of position and utilizes appropriate resources to effectively and successfully execute the responsibilities of the position.
- Keeps updated and current on applicable legal and regulatory requirements (regulations, industry guidance, changes in law, etc.).
- Understands and utilizes the company resource structure.
- Aligns work to achieve goals.
- Completes special projects and other duties as requested to support needs of organization.
- Networks with co-workers to share best practices.
- Develops positive working relationships with business partners throughout the organization.
- Actively participates in the creation/modification of local/regional policies and procedures, as needed.
Job Code: 101005
License or Certification:
- Certification in Healthcare Compliance or other applicable professional certification required
- JD or LLM a plus
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required (preferably in Healthcare Administration, Business, Public Health, Nursing or other clinical field, or a related field).
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience in health care compliance or, alternatively, in the legal field with a focus on regulatory compliance. A combination of operations and legal or operations and compliance experience is strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years management experience.
- Advanced degree a plus. JD, LLM, or other post-secondary legal training is strongly preferred.
- Broad working knowledge of auditing standards and risk assessment approaches.
- Experience in business risk assessment and development and execution of remediation plans.
- Knowledge and experience in the review of business processes, including process reengineering and implementation of controls.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 15 pounds and ability push/pull a minimum of 25 pounds, which includes the lifting, pushing and/or pulling of supplies and equipment. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
- Ability to research and analyze regulatory requirements, including state and local laws/regulations, CMS (to include MAC LCDs), OIG, OCR, and other governing regulations.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Adheres to dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Job ID: 2121617