The Unit Secretary is responsible for supporting the functions of the nursing unit by performing primarily clerical duties; serving as a resource for patients, families, physicians, staff and visitors who may approach the nursing station; and coordinating the flow of the unit to enhance the delivery of safe, quality patient care.
- Maintains complete and accurate medical records for all patients using appropriate labeling system.
- Communicates all pertinent information to the clinical team or appropriate individual.
- Accurately/efficiently transcribes medical orders; gives copies to other disciplines as needed.
- Accurately copies the medical record as required.
- Schedules tests, appointments and transportation as needed in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates strong computer skills using applicable programs.
- Serves as a liaison for all inquiries, directing them to the appropriate person for resolution.
- Organizes, plans, and manages time effectively to complete assignments.
- Maintains order and appropriate work flows at the nurses’ station.
- Meets position requirements and performs essential functions.
- Successfully completes all assigned training on or before due date and annual skills competency as determined by the hospitalbased on new responsibilities, specialized equipment, high risk/problem prone/or low volume procedures including emergency response procedures.
- Reports questionable situations, concerns, complaints or harassment immediately.
- Effectively manages and prioritizes multiple projects while managing interruptions.
License or Certification:
- CPR Certification preferred.
- One year of experience in an inpatient setting functioning as a unit secretary preferred.
- Student in an active healthcare program such as nursing preferred.
- Alternate experiences in reading and transcription of medical orders preferred.
- Completion of Medical Terminology course preferred.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as computer/laptop, telephone, copy/fax machine, calculator, scanner, etc.
- Microsoft Office software, to include Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Visual acuity, speech recognition, speech clarity.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds including medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements. Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Oral communication, written communication, fluency in English, active listening.
- Information ordering, deductive reasoning, social perceptiveness, time management, critical thinking.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without continuous supervision.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable, and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to dress code including wearing ID badge.
- Adheres to Standards of Business Conduct.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and/or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- This position will support cultural diversity by promoting and maintaining an inclusive work environment and culture that is respectful and accepting of diversity.
Address: 250 Pond Street, Braintree 02184
Shift: Day Job
Schedule: PRN / Pool / As Needed
Job ID: 2219476