The nurse residency program is designed to educate, acclimate and prepare new graduate nurses (or nurses with less than 1 year of experience) for the work environment. The program Provides structure for new graduates by giving them additional time and resources compared to a standard orientation experience. The nurse residency program is 9 months in length with an established curriculum. The nurse residency program contains an extended bedside orientation, interdisciplinary shadowing, nursing education, and an evidence based practice project. The nurse residency programs is designed to support and development the new staff nurses.
To provide a transitional role for a Graduate Nurse to begin orienting while waiting to pass the NCLEX, and fully function as a Registered Nurse.
The Graduate Nurse is responsible for:
- Providing direct patient care activities appropriate to training and competency for assigned patients with direct supervision of RN.
- Learning to operate various medical devices.
- Learning various disease processes.
- Interacting with nurses, assistance, physicians, therapists, and other healthcare providers.
- Working to expand clinical knowledge and skills.
- Familiarizing themselves to the hospital environment.
- Gaining clinical experience and exposure to nursing procedures.
- Assisting RNs in completing tasks that support patient care activities
- Completing patient care activities as assigned while promoting excellent patient satisfaction and outcomes.
- Working under the guidelines of RN with assigned patients in accordance with hospital guidelines.
Job Code: 101001
License or Certification:
- CPR certification required
Education, Training, Requirements and Years of Experience:
- Proof of completion of a RN program and eligibility to sit for NCLEX
- Must take NCLEX within six months of being granted Graduate Nurse status.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Equipment as listed in the Competency check-off list.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift, lower, push, pull, and retrieve objects weighing a minimum of 30 pounds including medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring equipment.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without constant supervision.
- May not under any circumstances perform any tasks/procedures that have not been covered in this job description or that have not been verified by competency checklists.
- May not administer medications by any route.
- May document in the medical record.
- May assist the nurse in collection of data and documentation of data in the nurse¿s notes upon completion of competencies as deemed by the CNO.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Has regular, reliable and predictable attendance and punctuality.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Address: 1850 Normandie Drive, York 17408
Job ID: 2310974