Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Richmond is currently recruiting for the role of Respiratory Therapist (PRN) for our hospital located at 5700 Fitzhugh Avenue, Richmond, VA 23226.
The Respiratory Therapist provides respiratory therapy treatment and patient care according to hospital, state, professional and federal regulations and guidelines. In additions, the position creates an environment and culture that enables the hospital to fulfill its mission by providing patient centered care and treatment in a safe manner.
· Administers medical gas, breathing therapy modality, and medication per physician written order.
· Follows laws, regulations, and safe practices of medication management activities.
· Administers therapy utilizing established standard of care and best practices.
· Recommends and implements appropriate alterations to therapy based on observations.
· Performs arterial blood gas sampling and transport.
· Interprets results and alerts appropriate personnel of abnormalities.
· Demonstrates proper chest physiotherapy and postural drainage techniques. Demonstrates airway clearance, e.g., nasotracheal suction, oral suction, and tracheal suction. Prioritizes maintenance patent airway management as high patient care priority through use of appropriate methods including: Ambu bag/mask, Oral pharyngeal airway, and Nasopharyngeal airway. Performs trach decannulation, trach change out, trach care, and cleaning.
· Completes required documentation for respiratory therapy treatments and services. Documents pre and post assessments, care planning, and daily documentation of patient receiving therapy.
· Helps orient new staff to hospital/department processes, policy, procedure, and documentation.
· Utilizes continuing education to keep abreast of current advancements related to pulmonary care. Demonstrates continued competence in assessing, treating, and caring for individuals upon age-specific need, utilizing a developmental perspective. Is knowledgeable of Joint Commission Standards, CMS regulations, National Board of Respiratory Care and ensures standards are implemented in department. Successfully completes all assigned training on or before due date and skills competency as determined by the hospital based on new responsibilities, specialized equipment, high risk/problem prone/ low volume procedures including but not limited to restraint procedures and emergency response techniques.
· Reports questionable situations, concerns, complaints or harassment immediately.
License or Certification:
- Current State License in Respiratory Therapy.
- CPR certification
- ACLS certification preferred.
Education, Training and Years of Experience:
- 2 years hospital experience in Respiratory Therapy preferred.
Machines, Equipment Used:
- General office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, calculator, computer.
- Good visual acuity and ability to communicate.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 30 pounds and ability push/pull a minimum of 30 pounds, which includes the lifting, pushing and/or pulling of medical supplies and equipment and the transferring and repositioning of patients. Reasonable assistance may be requested when lifting, pushing, and/or pulling are undertaken which exceeds these minimum requirements.
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing and walking.
- Ability to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch are required for patient care functions and in setting up and monitoring equipment
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak, read, write, and communicate effectively.
- Ability to coordinate, analyze, observe, make decisions, and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner.
- Ability to work independently without supervision.
- Indoor, temperature controlled, smoke-free environment. Occasional outdoor exposure.
- Exposure or potential exposure to blood and body fluids may be required.
- Handicapped accessible.
- May work under stressful circumstances at times.
Proficiency or Productivity Standards:
- Meets established attendance standards.
- Adheres to hospital/department dress code including wearing ID badge.
- May be required to work weekdays and/or weekends, evenings and or night shifts if needed to meet deadlines.
- May be required to work on religious and/or legal holidays on scheduled days/shifts.
- Will be required to work as necessary during disaster situations, i.e., before, during or after a disaster.
- May be required to stay after workday to assist after a disaster situation until relief arrives.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Address: 5700 Fitzhugh Avenue, Richmond 23226
Shift: Day Job
Schedule: PRN / Pool / As Needed
Job ID: 2311334